THE BENEFITS OF MARTIAL ARTS FOR PRESCHOOL KIDS
There are millions of children participating in Martial Arts. That statistic is rapidly growing at 15% per year according to leading child experts. The reason why is because parents across the country are recognizing all of the awesome benefits.
4-5 year old LOVES MARTIAL ARTS
Between the ages of 4 and 5, children are entering the “wonderful years” in their growth and development. They will, for the first time, experience rapid growth and development in the early stages of many skills. The martial arts program at Self Defense 4U Martial Arts helps them jump-start their growth and development in a positive and constructive atmosphere. Our 4 & 5 year olds are part of our Little Dragons program!
While some karate schools still prefer the “old school” method and combine 4 to 6-year olds together, they are probably over challenging or under challenging some of their students during most classes. This is why we use the age-specific Skills methods at Self Defense 4U Martial Arts, to target the specific physical, intellectual, emotional, and social needs of each developmental stage.
Top three PHYSICAL landmark for this age are:
1. Upper body, core, and lower body muscles developed to remain in one position for 10 seconds or longer. Ever seen a group of little kids sitting down fall over? One of the reasons is they lack core strength to stay upright.
2. Alternating feet and hands for 10 reps for longer.
3. Spatial awareness (where their body exists in space/ how far or close things really are) to catch an object from various directions 5 times in a row or longer.
Top three INTELLECTUAL landmarks for this age are:
1. Following directions with verbal cues only.
2. Processing 3-step or higher commands.
3. Repeating process of 3 consecutive routines or more.
Top three EMOTIONAL landmarks for this age are:
1. Demonstrating a “can do” attitude.
2. Controlling their emotions when they are challenged.
3. Facing fears such as trying new things and meeting new people.
Top three SOCIAL landmarks for this age are:
1. Taking turns.
2. Sharing attention.
3. Enjoying activities with other people.
At Self Defense 4U Martial Arts we focus on enhancing and improving all these skills. One way is through planned drills.
Skill- Kicking; Drill- Kicking the target while walking down the mat and counting each kick.
Benefits: In this drill the students practice the early stages of kicking while walking, counting and striking a target. Many children within this age group have a hard time kicking while walking, alternating legs, counting, and striking a target.
They have a tendency of favoring the dominant leg. They also tend to kick higher with this leg, so this drill will help them PHSICALLY increase the power and flexibility in their non-dominant leg by having them hit a target set up at a higher than normal level, which is at waist level or higher.
To make it even more challenging, they usually don’t have the INTELLECTUAL capacity to both focus on counting and striking a target while walking and kicking.
This drill enables them to practice EMOTIONAL development by persevering through a task that is challenging for the average child in their stage of development.
This drill also improves their SOCIAL development as they practicing taking turns.
As you can see, we know how to take a simple drill and turn it into a drill that has VALUE. This one drill shows how Self Defense 4U Martial Arts works on physical, emotional, intellectual and social development for each age group.
To learn more about our children’s program go to www.selfdefense4-u.com